Re: dpkg upgrade/downgrade dependency problem

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Juan Cespedes wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 09:20:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> >
> > Only, the way I understood Christian, his package won't overwrite any
> > files from dpkg, so I'd say "Replaces: dpkg" is particularly useless.
> >
> > Does "Suggest: dpkg (>= 1.4.0.23)" work?
>
> 	If it doesn't overwrite any file, then yes.
>
> 	BTW: I don't like the "Conflicts" solution... for example, on
> Sparc we still have dpkg_1.4.0.8, and we wouldn't install Christian's
> package without having a new dpkg.
[snip]

Ok. So I guess the "Suggests: dpkg (>= 1.4.0.23)" would be the best
solution. Is 1.4.0.23 the correct version? (Should I wait with the
Suggests: until the new dpkg has been released? I have the package ready
for upload now and will release it either way, because the change in
the manual is important for the release.)

The new dpkg should implement the following changes WRT packaging-manual:

 1. remove from dpkg source package:
      doc/changelog
      doc/packaging.sgml

 2. remove from dpkg binary package (i.e., adapt debian/rules):
      usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/*

 3. remove from dpkg-dev binary package:
      usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.manuals.gz

 4. rename in dpkg binary package:
      usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.dpkg.gz into usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.gz

 5. add a "Suggests: packaging-manual"

    (I'm uncertain whether #5 is good: the suggests would inform people
during an upgrade that the packaging manual has been split off. However,
the packaging-manual is certainly not needed for the average user. Any
preferences?)

Do you want me to file the above as a bug report or is it ok this way?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com