Re: maintenance of dpkg (Re: I've verified some dpkg bugs)

On 22 Apr 1998, Klee Dienes wrote:

[snip]
> Now, for Chris's proposals:
>
> > - dpkg is not considered as 'native Debian package' anymore, but as
> >   independent package which has (possibly different) upstream maintainers
> >   and a Debian maintainer
>
> > - there will be one Debian maintainer who will package up dpkg, who
> >   maintains the bug reports (answers arriving reports, closes them, etc.)
> >   This person could be part of the dpkg dev team, but doesn't necessarily
> >   have to be. He must have enough time for the day-to-day maintenance.
> >   (It currently looks to me like Juan would be the right person for this
> >   job.)
> >   (Note, that if noone should want to take this job, I'd volunteer, too.
> >   However, I'm sure we have developers with better dpkg knowledge
> >   around, who'd do a better job than myself.)
>
> Conceptually, I think this would be fine, though I'm not sure it's all
> that big a change in practice.
[snip]

First of all, it's good to hear that you are working on dpkg again! Your
proposal of what to do next looks perfect to me.

And if you're coordinating dpkg development/maintenance again (which would
be great!), my proposal of changing dpkg' maintainer situation is
obsolete.

Thanks,

Chris

PS: I just merged the "debian-changelog mode missing" bugs, and reassigned
a bunch of bugs to the new packaging-manual package.

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
           !   ___;   schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
           \  /