Re: Source-Depends implementation

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 11:58:38PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> Ben Collins <bmc@visi.net> writes:
> > That does little more than what we do now...and not everyone who
> > wants this feature, wants to do manual adding, otherwise they
> > wouldn't need it any way.
>
> a) If you bothered to look at what the automatic src-dep generator
> produces, your claim that it `does little more than what we do now' is
> verifiably silly.

That comment was directed to your "by hand" comment, not your utility.

> b) manual adding _is_ still a major bonus, because it's `add once and
> it'll be checked automatically for all future builds'.

Which should be done by the package maintainer since he/she knows what
their package needs.

> c) You *can not* avoid manual additions for any sane and proper system
> of source dependencies.  But in the rush to implement, something,
> anything (a hack, if you will), people don't seem to care about the
> details.

What if it changes? What if they change from ncurses to slang as some
one else pointed out? Your build system is broken until fixed "by
hand" and with over 2000 packages that's a big deal.

> > That's an impressive number, but it still has nothing to do with
> > this.
>
> What like constraints have nothing to do with source dependencies?
>
> Uh, no, it has quite a lot to do with this, and if you didn't want it
> mentioned, you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place (you
> mentioned buildd, not me).

No, it has nothing to do with a general development wide implementation
of source dependencies. While it is a good thing to have in your case,
it does nothing to help for other systems that wish to use it unless it
is implemented at tha package level.

James, please do not take this as any sort of an attack on what you
have accomplished, but don't discount my efforts simply because you
have already done this with your own build utils. A generally available
system that works outside of any single application is needed.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org