Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 03:27:46PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> We've had a couple of discussions about shortcomings of the way
> we currently implement source packages, and the various ways to
> work around it. To summarise, the shortcomings of the current system
> are:
>
> * can not handle multiple tar archives
> * can not handle seperate patches
> * can not handle bzip2 compressed files
> * can not handle binary files
> * can not handle .sig files for upstream distributed files

  * Archive cannot handle retaining sources for old package versions (i.e.
    if a new source is uploaded for i386, the source for all other archs
    is gone, until they recompile the new version).
  * Archive cannot handle using the same source/tarball for several .dsc's
    (e.g. two different packages/mainainers using the same tarball, like
    the tcl/tk relationship and many others that could exist, but can't).

This doesn't apple directly to a source format, but it does have bearing
on the final solution. Since we are discussing this now, it should be
brought into the plan aswell.

Ben