Re: UPGRADING w/static apt & dpkg [quite urgent!]

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > Hmmm. Would that mean that libc6.1-static apt can't be used on libcX <
> > libc6.1?
>
> Not unless you also put the nss-modules somewhere.

That's not entirely true, see below.

> > But that would only be a problem with FTP/HTTP mirrors, wouldn't it?
>
> I don't see the relation to mirrors at all here.

Indeed, multi-interpretable ;-)  I mean: there is NO problem with static apt
UNLESS you let apt fetch packages from an FTP/HTTP mirror. (I checked the "NO"
part myself.)

> > But, if this is true, that would mean static!=static any more. That would be
> > _very_ bad. Some more testing is required.
>
> That has been true for some time now.

And they haven't yet invented something to _also_ link nss static?

But then, a workaround is simple. I just tested with a statically compiled
wget (I'm not going to do apt over my modem...), and indeed hostnames can't be
resolved ("Unknown error"). But when you simply substitute the IP address,
things are fine again. So it's not really a problem, but a question of
documentation. And that's something I can handle ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer