Re: Binary pkg cache (WAS: Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.)

Juergen A. Erhard wrote:
> For one thing, it would probably (very probably) make dpkg consume a
> lot less memory.  AFAICT, apt needs to read just as much package info
> as dpkg to do its ordering thing... but we all know that it consumes a
> lot less memory than dpkg.

Memory use has to do with in-memory data structures, little relevance to
talk of what format the data is stored in on disk.

Anyway, I don't belive apt has to read in all the file list data, which
seems to be the bulk of dpkg's memory use. That data is only of use if
you are actually adding/removing files and have to check for files that
are both in the same packages, something apt is unaware of.

--
see shy jo