tracking package selections

(Moving this diverged thread from debian-private.)

Adam Heath wrote:
> > Is the place for this kind of stuff not in the selection database of
> > dpkg ?
>
> No.
>
> dpkg is a backend tool.  Only the frontend can know whether a user picked
> something, or a dependant was picked automatically.

It would be useful for frontends to be able to communicate that
information to one-another.

It would be useful for that information to be readily available outside
frontends, as in dpkg -s output.

It would be useful for that information to be stored in a single place
with all the other package state information in a well-documented
format, and backed up along with it in /var/backups, and so on.

I hope that you can be persuaded to reconsider.

--
see shy jo