undoing dselect changes

I made a package selection in dselect, but then decided otherwise and am
now trying to tell dselect I no longer want to install the package.
While tring to undo this choice, and all of it's dependencies, I've made
a mess. When I choose install (hoping it will say there's nothing to
install), I get the following:

  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    liblcms liblcms-dev libmng-dev libmng1 libqt-dev libqt-mt-dev libqt2
    libqt2-mt libqutil1 python-newt uic
    coreutils cpp-3.2 dictionaries-common dselect emacs21-common g++-3.2 gcc-3.2
    gcc-3.2-base libdb1-compat libdb4.0 libdb4.1 libdns8 libgd1-xpm libidn9
    libpcap0.7 libperl5.8 libpng12-0 libssl0.9.7 libstdc++5
libstdc++5-dev
  199 packages upgraded, 20 newly installed, 11 to remove and 3  not upgraded.
  Need to get 146MB of archives. After unpacking 30.0MB will be used.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I don't want *any* of this to be done. How do I tell dselect this? If I
choose 'n', I'll just be prompted with the same list of packages next
time I run dselect.

I don't subscribe to this list, so please cc: me on any replies.

Thanks,

Chris Plummer