Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 18:59:40 +0530, dE . wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>> > You super-package is a called an APT repository on a DVDROM. Using those
>> > DVD is easy ("apt-cdrom add" and you're done).
>> >
>> > DVD are generated so that they contain all dependencies of all the
>> > packages that they contain (when multiple DVD are involved, the #1 can be
>> > used standalone, the #2 can only require packages in #1 and so on).
>
>> Problem is you have to make these DVD/CD, or in general storage media.
>> Windows people are not willing to do that...they just want click and
>> install.
>
> Someone would have to make those super deb packages too, and carrying
> them on the mirrors is not really feasible, it would duplicate huge
> amounts of data. Even creating fewer from a subset of the distribution
> would be problematic, who would choose which ones are worth it, and
> what if the user needs one that's missing?
>
> So if a more savvy person has to create such super debs anyway for
> those users, they can as well just create a repository and place it in
> a usb stick or CD/DVD. I don't really see the need to invent more
> stuff.
>
> regards,
> guillem

The super dep packages will be made by developers and the same package
will be distributed around not a cd or a complete ISO image. Even a
thumb drive will be sufficient.

These packages does not have to do with online things...if you're
online, use the repository. But if there's something missing in the
repository...for e.g a software called "foxit" you can download the
sdebp from their site, then click and install. You can share this
software too and if you have the ability to make sdepb packages from
your installed set of software (form synaptic for e.g.) then it will
be better...this is a very user friendly feature that windows does not
have.

For repository you have to modify the default set of repositories, if
you download that repository from the net you have to extract it and
place it somewhere...these will be the additional steps...overall it's
a hazel. What if someone has to give the downloaded software from the
repository to someone?...he has to give tons of archives and the
package index list (I think it's the right name, it's called snapshot
in Gentoo) which has to be placed in the right places in the
destination computer...instead, he can just make an sdebp package from
synaptic, and double click to install in the offline computer.

Imagine the worst possible case..a 12 year old girl using
debian...sdebs will be much easier to install...she wont even know
what's a repo.