Re: BUG: dpkg confused with so many symlinks

Hi,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > /bin/as and
> > /usr/bin/@as --> ../../bin/as (symlink)
> >
> > dpkg throws "unable to open /bin/as.dpkg-new No such file or directory"
> >
> > I wish you can fix it :)
>
> When filing the bug, could you also attach the output of:
>
>   # dpkg -D77333 -i failing-package.deb
>
> I'll look into it then.

I'm not sure what more information do you need. It's just that dpkg tries
to process the same file twice because the 2 paths are in reality in the
same location.

It's a relatively common (though obscure) error:
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/07/18/deciphering-one-of-dpkg-weirdest-errors-unable-to-open-pathtofoo-dpkg-new/

We would have to teach dpkg to recognize when 2 paths are actually the
same.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/