Re: Building with gcov

Hi!

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 11:28:07 -0400, Jane Erickson wrote:
> I am trying to build entire debian packages with gcov by adding
> "-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage" flags in DEB_*_APPEND.
>
> However, some of the packages are not compiled, and some of them do not
> include gcov functions when compiled.

Not all Debian packages are using dpkg-buildflags yet, so those flags
might not get globally honoured.

> Is there a proper way to compile all the debian packages with gcov?

Even if you set CFLAGS globally, some packages might not properly pass
those to the build system, or the upstream build system might not even
honour them anyway.

So there's no proper way, except to fix all Debian packages to honour
them one way or another. Currently the only way you can guarantee all
packages will be built with those flags is for example to divert the
compiler binary (gcc) and add a wrapper that injects the desired
flags before calling the real compiler.

thanks,
guillem