Re: dpkg with threaded xz decompression.

Hi!

On Mon, 2022-10-03 at 10:58:10 +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 13:05:15 [+0200], To debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > Okay. Let me package the alpha for exp then.
> > Jonathan, are there any objections? While at it, I would also update the
> > version in ustable to the current stable.
>
> It has been uploaded to experimental.

Great, thanks much for this! I've rebased (with no changes needed) the
patch on top of git HEAD, built and executed the functional test suite,
and it seems to be working fine. :) And pushed it to
<https://git.hadrons.org/git/debian/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?h=next/xz-mt-decompressor>.

I'm a little wary about merging this though, given upstream mails
about it, and their non-guarantees for the API/ABI stability, and for
their fear of downstreams to potentially start using it by packaging
the alpha or something like that. Given that this will not be enabled
in sid/testing anyway as the required liblzma will not be there, perhaps
we can wait merging it until a non-alpha release hits sid? If you think
it would make your life way way easier for testing or similar, then
perhaps adding the patch shadowed behind AUTHOR_TESTING (just like the
shared-library support) could do it. Or did you have in mind something
else?

Thanks,
Guillem