Re: Terminology changes for update-alternatives

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 06:00:51AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I've been pondering about other options, and I think the concept that
> seems to describe best the relationship is akin a planet and its moon
> or satellite orbiting around it and being pulled along. But satellite
> seems too long and unrelated as a direct term.
>
> (Primary/secondary do not seem to represent this well, and I have an
> aversion to the leader/follower pair and they don't seem to fit well
> here anyway.)

If I understand the terminology requirements correctly, then the
situation is that a person selects one "docking port"[1] (choice among
alternatives), and with that selection made, multiple corresponding
"latches" (symlinks) are aligned to the selection.

A similar -- albeit perhaps less standardized -- analogy could be
electrical plugs and sockets (where multiple pins are aligned to match
a selected wall socket).

(apologies for the lack of message-id in my reply here; this is the
second time I've apologized for replying without one to list(s) that
I'm not subscribed to.. so I should figure out a way to reply
in-thread soon)

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Docking_System_Standard