Re: [Debian-NYC] Workshop #2: using what we've learned

* Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> [2009-11-02 19:05-0500]:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:45:55AM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > We had our first workshop nearly two weeks ago, and I have not yet
> > followed up.  This email is about scheduling a follow up.  Please see
> > this poll for date options:
> >
> >   http://doodle.com/ezt48vr4c5kbab6p
>
> According to this, Thursday, November 12th (~7pm or so), is the
> currently most available day.  It also fits with what we did last
> time, and makes sense as a reasonable time.

I had a crazy week and was sick, so didn't respond to the poll, also my
internet is down until friday, so its been a challenge. However, I'm
game for the 12th at 7pm!

> So, workshop topics?  I propose two rough groups:
>
> - Bug squashing/packaging party.  Works on miscellaneous tasks.
>
> - One group that tears apart a package, explaining some advanced bits
>   that make it work, and perhaps looking at an example of a "really
>   bad" package that wouldn't be approved.  If there are enough new
>   people, I could do a summary of the previous workshop.

I can show people concepts of backporting packages to previous debian
suites. I run a number of debian systems that are stable by policy, but
occasionally need newer software, and backporting (ala
http://backports.org) is the best way to deal with that.

micah