Re: [Debian-NYC] Workshop and BSP infrastructure

On 01/18/2010 06:32 PM, Richard Darst wrote:
> Oh, that would be nice - perfect actually!  (it's neat that these are
> going for $20 on ebay these days - makes me want to get one, except
> that SheevaPlug is out now.

SheevaPlugs are way sexier, but igor (my personal NSLU2 that i've been
hacking on for a few years) has been good for:

 * doing light debian armel development (no kernel rebuilds, but stuff
like testing my own packages, making custom packages with my preferred
options, and diagnosing alignment errors generated by gcc.

 * playing music (via a USB audio device), offering mpd service

 * taking low-res photos from a webcam

i've also run NSLU2's as DNS servers and krb5 servers, but never under
any really heavy load.

i can also help anyone who wants to do a bit of hardware hacking learn
how to put a serial console on the device, which is very handy if you
want to experiment with bleeding-edge kernels and bootloaders.

> For those that keep up to date on these
> things, what's the best device like this for random serving needs?)

A recent (lengthy) thread on debian-arm had some discussion about the
state of the art:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/01/msg00058.html

> Since it runs Debian, I assume that no special setup on the disk is
> needed (it's ext3).

right, though power to the USB ports is limited on an NSLU2, and you'll
need the root filesystem to come from someplace.  does the disk have its
own power supply or is it "portable" (meaning it pulls power from USB)?

does it have enough room or a flexible-enough partitioning layout to
host a root filesystem for the slug?

hth,

	--dkg