Re: Q: comfortable passwd changing for students?

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:55:12PM +0200, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> we just discussed how to let pupils change their passwords. One option is
> using wlus - someone told me that mortal users (= non-admins) are led
> directly to the corresponding wlus module.
>
> Anyway, there are further options:
>
> Under Linux, it has to be proven, that passwd changes also the samba password.
> In this case, kdepasswd could be a userfriedly front end.
>
> Under Windows, hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del offers "change password" (NT 4). This
> however is blocked out in smb.conf:
>
> # Disable changing of password using samba
>   unix password sync = yes
>   passwd program = /bin/false
>
> Don't know, for what reason an if enabling would allow MS Windows users also
> to change the unix pw at once?

The reason is that the samba root account is not allowed to update the
users passwords. this was done after a lengthy discussion, so please
search the mail archives before allowing samb ato change the users unix
password.

One goal was to make sure that samba and unix password was syncronized.
To achieve this you cannot use kpasswd, or the command line passwd
tool, you either need to use the webmin-frontend, or it may be possible
to use /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/passwd (not tested, not sure
if it works, it may need some rewriting)

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no