We mourn the loss of Abbe Pierre (translated)

Dear subscribers of Debian-Edu,

we mourn the loss of Abbé Pierre, who passed away today at 94 years of
age.

Abbé Pierre, "Father of the poor", founded the Emmaus community in
France. This charity movement cares about the poor, giving jobs and
housing to homeless people in over 120 centres all over France.

The Emmaus centre in Forbach near Saarbruck also hosts the French
section of Debian-Edu/Skolelinux.

The work of Emmaus recycling centres includes collecting and re-using
old computers. These are refurnished and re-used with new Software at
schools.
Many Emmaus communities also use Skolelinux for there centres.

It is especially the combination of recycled computers that are used as
thin clients with Debian-Edu LTSP servers that creates meaningful jobs
for homeless people.

Pictures and reports from France are to be found in the German wiki:

http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Kooperation/Frankreich

http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Forbach0603

Further sources of information:

http://euronews.net/create_html.php?page=detail_info&article=402320&lng=1