Re: cipux in NEW queue

Steffen Joeris wrote:
> Hi fellowers
>
> The cipux packages were uploaded to the NEW queue[0] 3 days ago.
> After the ftp-team examined the package, we decided to move the discussion
> about its inclusion or rejection to the public developer list.
> I set the reply-to to debian-edu@lists.debian.org, please keep it on that
> list.

I'm not a native english speaker, but please, all, try to make sure you
write what you mean.

I guess it's not up to the ftp-team to decide if a package should be
_included_ or rejected, but rather if the package should be _accepted_
or rejected.

I guess it's up to the developers and this list to decide if a package
should be included or excluded from the CD/DVD.

> The current point which needs to be discussed is the use of the
> cipux-rpc.postinst script. This script calls various cipux commands (or a
> cipux command which calls another cipux command ...) which in the end fills
> in LDAP data. Note that I did not completely examine the script, so somebody
> else might want to give an explanation here. My personal understanding is, to
> put it into a nutshell, that cipux needs to fill in the LDAP data with own
> attributes in order to function. I would consider this as a violation of the
> debian policy, because it adds (without noticing) ldap data which no admin
> would expect while installing it and it gets not removed during a purge.
> The question here would be, if this is really a violation, if so how can it be
> avoided or in a drastical case, do we want to ignore it and consider it a
> special case, which is possible through our policy[1], but strongly not
> recommended and should only be a temporary solution.

The ldap database as delivered from the debian slapd-maintainers is not
suited for using together with neither wlus nor cipux. I'm not even sure
it's possible to use with an email-server (for the email to know where
to deliver/fetch the emails...), without adding additional ldap-schema's
into slapd. I know it's not possible to use it with lwat, the way lwat
is preseeded in debian-edu, but that's because lwat (in debian-edu) is
set up to replace (or be compatible with) wlus. I would suggest the use
of some other schema's (authldap.schema instead ow the custom
courier.schema), but that would also require some small rewriting of the
configuration for exim and courier.
It should not be to much of a problem to rewrite debian-edu-config so
that the ldap-db is cipux-compatible when the install is finished.

> My question now is concerning debian-edu, is it really necessary to change the
> LDAP data and if so why?

I think you should change the schema's used by ldap, to make it more
compliant with standard schema's. But I don't think the changes included
by cipux is the correct way to go.
On a side note, I think a more standard schema-compliant setup would
make it easier to be feide-compliant as well.

> Is there any backwards compatibility with the old LDAP data, e.g. will the old
> users show up or can an admin just insert an old ldap backup and everything
> works?

As long as you don't touch the settings for pam-ldap and nss-ldap, the
accounts will work, but they wont show up in cipux.

> Do we care about backwards compatibility or how do we want to offer
> Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0 and keep the admin effort to a minimum while
> upgrading to the new version?

Upgrading should work, but taking a DB out of the server, installing
from scratch, and then adding back the old DB, would require the ldap-db
 to be rather clean. I think it's the wrong way to do the upgrade.
Normally there would be a tool that would adjust the database during the
upgrade. Doing a clean install, then adding back the db would require
the possibility to run such a script.

> Another question I would like to add is if cipux will work with other
> adminstration systems. In the debian-edu repository there is lwat and i am
> not quite sure what debian offers. I am bringing this specific question up,
> just out of interest, please note that it is not the intention of the
> ftp-team at this stage to make a decision about which administration tool we
> want to use or if we want to decide in favour of one.

I know I _could_ make lwat create accounts that cipux can understand.
But I wont do it until someone pays me to do it (and then why not just
use cipux?)
the reasons is:
- I think it's wrong to further customize the ldap database layout like
  cipux does
- I think it's wrong to implement another security layer like cipux does
  (adding dn: cn=cipuxadm,... with the same rights as rootdn), with the
  password stored on disk

I know that accounts created in cipux will shop up in lwat, and it's
possible to set a new full name, change password, change group
membership etc., but I will not guarantee that the account is
cipux-compatible after they have been edited with lwat.

> Please note that our intention is not to start any flamewar, but to start a
> technical discussion to find out which way we want to go and which way suits
> us best.

Please also make sure that you all proofread before you send, and also
that you read it twice before sending, so that we can rule out
misunderstandings. Also, please make sure you read things twice, and
give the author some doubts, since very few of us do use english on a
daily basis.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/