Getting an edubuntu workstation to log-on to a skolelinux server successfully via LDAP

Hello everyone, and thank you to all who have helped so much already,

I'm forwarding an email I wrote to a tech support person helping me at the end of September.  I seem to be exhausting all possibilities of getting some kind of lab set up in my classroom where students' files are stored on the server.  I asked in the list earlier how to connect an edubuntu workstation to a Skolelinux network.  I forget who, but someone said to search for 'ldap skolelinux edubuntu' on google or something like that.  I did and came up with the following link:

Also, I have been working with a person who is with a tech support company, and he was able to have one of his friends who works on the Skolelinux project provide some directions.  I followed the directions and got the edubuntu workstation to recognize the log-in but then the screen would just go black and nothing else.  It would also ask for the password twice. The tech support guy helping me also had the same results, independent from me.  The directions are pasted a little bit below.

I'm just thinking there has to be someone who has set up edubuntu workstations that connect to a skolelinux server suceessfully.  I can follow directions pretty well, but am not able to troubleshoot LDAP connection problems because I don't yet know enough about it (and I teach 8th grade full time so I can't put as much time into this as I would like to).

I have been more successful with getting Ubuntu on individual machines, and I like the way their desktop is organized, but you can only log-in with thin or fat clients (LDAP has to be setup on its own), BUT I think the debian server is far better and has more capabilities out of the box, like LDAP and samba support.  It'd be nice if Edubuntu and Skolelinux got together to really make a powerful system for school computer labs.

Pleae refer to the directions below that the skolelinux guy provided.  Does anyone know if anything is missing from the directions, or anything else that would make an LDAP connection successful from an Edubuntu workstation to Debian Skolelinux Etch?

The directions I received are:

(This is to connect an Edubuntu workstation to a Skolelinux server via LDAP:  Myself and the tech support guy both got the same error where it recognized the log-in, but would ask for the password twice and then stall on a black screen.  Can anyone find an error with the instructions below?)

apt-get install nfs-common ldap-utils libpam-ldap libnss-ldap nscd

> echo "tjener:/skole/tjener/home0 /skole/tjener/home0 nfs timeo=14,intr
> 0  0" >> /etc/fstab
>

> Then you need to edit a few files (with Ubuntu you need to merge the
> following two or three into /etc/ldap.conf I think):
>
> cat /etc/pam_ldap.conf
> host ldap
> ssl start_tls
> bind_policy soft