Re: Some measurements on LTSP network usage

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 01:49:59PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>                       2007             2014
>                received   sent  received   sent
>               ----------------  ---------------
>   Thin Client    42 MiB  3 MiB   187 MiB  6 MiB
>   Diskless WS   117 MiB 12 MiB   188 MiB  6 MiB

> The 2014 test is using LTSP 5.5.3.  Not sure which version we had in
> 2007.  I only booted once, so the numbers might change a bit from boot
> to boot.

After stripping down the LTSP chroot I got these numbers (after one
mesurement) until the ldm login screen appears:

                received     sent
------------------------  -------
   Thin Client   117 MiB  1,9 MiB
   Diskless WS   127 MiB  2,2 MiB

> I also measured how much is transfered to log in until the system
> settled, along with the amount of memory used on the client once logged
> in (according to 'free -m', calculate 'ram used without buffers' +
> swap):
>                           2014
>                   received     sent   memory
>   Thin Client KDE   28 MiB    6 MiB   76 MiB
>   Diskless WS KDE  767 MiB  252 MiB  466 MiB

These are the values for Xfce from login until the system has settled
(with the system stripped down):

                    received      sent   memory
   Thin Client Xfce    5 MiB   1,1 MiB  171 MiB
   Diskless WS Xfce   83 MiB   2,9 MiB  348 MiB

Wolfgang