Re: Unable to load html helper mode--error

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:24:24 -0500, you wrote:

>Gary M Turner wrote:
>
>> This error message first appeared when I added html helper to my
>> wintel laptop.
>>
>> 	file mode specification error:  (invalid-read-syntax ")")
>>
>> Since my desktop wintel worked just fine, I figured for a typo.  So, I
>> copied my .emacs file to a floppy, then to the laptop.  This fixed the
>> lapbox.
>>
>> Now the desktop is showing the same error!!!
>>
>> Here is the .emacs file:
>>

>> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
>> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>> ;;(calendar)
>> (diary)
>> (setq load-path (cons "c:\\gnuemacs\\emacs-20.7\\lisp" load-path))
>> (autoload 'html-helper-mode "html-helper-mode" "Yay HTML" t)
>> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\.html$" . html-helper-mode)
>> auto-mode-alist))
>
>Try putting this all in one line.  Emacs doesn't should care but
>maybe dos filrsystem end-of-lines are confusing something?

OK I double checked in DOS ( type . emacs) It is on a single line
there.  This mailer word-wrapped the line.

Emacs word-wrapped the address line below and it was saved that way.
I just did put it all on one line and restarted emacs.  no joy.

So,  I guess we're back to square one.   What the heck does the error
message mean?

I would like to solve the  puzzle, and I appreciate your idea.  If
nothing else pops up, I'll copy the working version from the laptop
back to the desktop.  But that's like saying uncle.