Re: Should debian-emacs-flavor symbol be allowed at large?

James LewisMoss wrote:

> po.gc.ca> said:
>
>  Peter> I just noticed the use of the debian-emacs-flavor symbol in
>  Peter> auctex's /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el file.
>
>  Peter> I'm wondering if debian-emacs-policy should forbid the use of
>  Peter> debian-emacs-flavor outside of the /etc/emacs* directories, or
>  Peter> rather inside of directories usually visible by unpackaged
>  Peter> Emacsen (i.e setup whatever variable you want using
>  Peter> debian-emacs-flavor in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50somefile.el,
>  Peter> and use that variable later).
>
> I believe it should forbid its usage outside the /etc/(x)emacs*
> files.
>
> Jim

So how do we go about proposing that.  Does it go as a full
proposal to debian-policy?  Or do we establish concensus here,
which could be difficult based on the low traffic.

I personally can work with the current system, but I'd rather
make it easier for users.  Another way to go would be to install
a /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el file that defined the
symbol if it didn't already exist, setting it to 'emacs.  Then
perhaps load:

 (load "debian-startup")
 (debian-startup 'emacs)

But people here might rightly feel that is overstepping our
bounds.

Peter