subdirs.el: bug, feature, or?

Each time I reinstall or upgrade the emacs20 package, the file
/usr/share/emacs/20.7/site-lisp/subdirs.el disappears.
This is not a postinst dynamically created file: it is on the shipped
list of the package.  Then I get bogus warnings from various
consistency-checking scripts.

This doesn't seem to have any visible effect on the functionality:
it's just weird, I can't understand how it happens (I have looked through
the emacsen-common maze but haven't found an answer), and I am curious.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087