Re: GPL V2 and GPLv3

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org> writes:
>
> > This isn't strictly an Emacs isuue, but it certainly affects us...
> >
> > As I understand it, the GPL v3 is more strict then the GPL v2 and thus
> > is incompatible.  Is that correct?
>
> It seems so, see
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility.
>
> > That means that as Emacs migrates to GPL v3, and elisp code licensed
> > under the GPL v2 (without the "or any later version" bit) will be
> > incompatible.
>
> Unfortunately, yes.
>
> > So if we have any such elisp code in Debian, should we exclude
> > installation and byte-compilation for versions of Emacs that are
> > licensed under the GPL v3?  I presume this includes emacs-snapshot and
> > likely any future bug fix release of Emacs 22.
>
> Emacs 22.2 will be released under GPL v3.  As for emacs-snapshot, the
> first version after upstream's switch to GPL 3 seems to be 1:20070805-1.
>
> > Have I missed something?
>
> I think the upstream authors should be contacted to relicense their
> code.  Especially authors of old code (when v2 was the only GPL
> version) might not have been aware of the incompatibility and just
> chose sloppy wording that needs to be clarified now.

For the source emacs-goodies-el package, the only files affected are:

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----
| ;;; home-end.el --- Alternative Home and End commands.
| ;; Copyright 1996 Kai Grossjohann and Toby Speight
| ;; Copyright 2002 Toby Speight
`----

Probable okay, but doesn't specify a version number at all:
,----
|;;; minibuf-electric.el -- Electric minibuffer behavior from XEmacs.
|;;;
|
|;; Extracted from minibuf.el --- Minibuffer functions for XEmacs
|;; Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
|;; Copyright (C) 1995 Tinker Systems.
|;; Copyright (C) 1995, 1996, 2000 Ben Wing.
|
|;; Modified by Karl Hegbloom for GNU Emacs.  Taken from XEmacs 21.4
|;; "lisp/minibuf.el".  It needs fine tuning and placement in a
|;; suitable location within the GNU Emacs Lisp tree.  See below for
|;; notes concerning key-maps.
|;;
|;; Submitted for inclusion in the Debian `emacs-goodies-el' package.
|;;
|;; GPL.
`----

Lots by the same author (should be esay):
,----
`----

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----

,----
| ;;; thinks.el --- Insert text in a think bubble.
| ;; Copyright 2000,2001 by Dave Pearson <davep@davep.org>
`----

,----
| ;;; tld.el --- TLD lookup tool.
| ;; Copyright 2000 by Dave Pearson <davep@davep.org>
`----

And this is a strange one.  Is this GPL-compatible?  I would think not?
,----
`----

--
Peter S. Galbraith, Debian Developer          <psg@debian.org>