comint version does not load because of debian specific init file

Hello

I have sent this message already to Xemacs-beta and the
subject has been resolved in the sense that this is a debian
problem/ubuntu problem,[1]. The problem discribed below does
not occur

    -  if I start xemacs -vanilla (without any init file)

    -  if I compile and install my own xemacs say in
       /usr/local.

The newest version of matlab + matlab.el only works with the
comint version found in xemacs-base 2.10.

I have tried that so far in xemacs-21.4.21 (Kubuntu 8.04 and
9.04)

However today I tried out xemacs-21.4.22 of Kubuntu 10.04
and there I could not load that specific comint version. I
obtained an error message which I attach.

regards

Uwe Brauer

PS I also think that debian should rethink its policy of
sharing .el files between GNU and Xemacs.

Footnotes:
[1]  as far as I can see there is no difference between
     Debian and Ubuntu with respect to (X)emacs.