Re: Need help converting ess package to melpa-ess

On 19 August 2018 at 15:22, David Bremner wrote:
| Yes, you can add something like
|
| ;;;###autoload
| (require 'ess-site)
|
| to debian/debian-autoloads.el

That doesn't do the trick. It falls back to triggering "symbol's value as
variable is void: ...some ESS variable..." in my ~/.emacs

But then maybe I am expecting to much. I guess I have to have it loaded
before adjusting it. So back to a manual (require 'ess-site) in there.

| It's questionable whether some of the other autoloads (e.g. for R-mode)
| are useful in that case since they just provide lazy loading of
| ess-site.
|
| The other alternative would be to add of the following to
| debian/debian-autoloads.el
|
| ;;;###autoload
| (autoload 'foo "ess-site" "Run foo" t)
|
| The advantage of the second approach is that you won't be loading ess
| for every user and every emacs session. On the other hand, there may be
| some entry points not covered. Some packages need a startup file like
| ess-site explicitely loaded; my experience was that at least simple
| things like "emacs foo.R"
|
| In the long run, those ;;;###autoload cookies should probably be added
| upstream so that non-debian users could use them. So you might prefer
| just to patch them in to ess-foo.el  and send the patches upstream.
| The emacs package process will collect them all and run them at package
| initialization time.

We can talk to upstream, easiest via an issue here:
https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/issues

On 19 August 2018 at 15:25, David Bremner wrote:
| David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
|

| > The advantage of the second approach is that you won't be loading ess
| > for every user and every emacs session. On the other hand, there may be
| > some entry points not covered. Some packages need a startup file like
| > ess-site explicitely loaded; my experience was that at least simple
| > things like "emacs foo.R"
|
| that is, the lazy loading provided by (autoload ...) seems to work for
| ess. But of course I'm not really a good tester, I just noticed the
| correct major mode was invoked.

I quite liked the /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50* approach as we could set things
explicitly.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org