Unexpected problem when making Emacs 29 backport to Debian 12

I just tried to make a backport to Debian 12. Unsurprisingly, I had to change the build-deps on GCC 13 to GCC 12. Rather more surprisingly, I then got the following error during build:
/home/rrt/.local/var/Downloads/emacs-29.1+1/debian/build-src/src/process.c:129:10: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory
  129 | #include <glib.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

This turned out to be while building emacs-lucid.

Since I didn't need the Lucid version, I hacked around the problem by not building the Lucid (or nox) packages.

Obviously, this didn't happen when the packages were built for unstable! But I'm baffled, as I can't see any mention of glib in debian/rules, nor any fiddling with the glib settings in the section of configure.ac that deals with the --without-gsettings flag.