Re: embdebian usable now?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 04:05:37PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> Peter Vandenabeele <peter.vandenabeele@mind.be> writes:
[...]
> > First question is what is your CPU platform (x86, ARM, PowerPC,
> > MIPS, ...). It matters, since the efficient _cross-compilation_ of
> > Debian packages is one of the issues that is tackled in emdebian.
>
> The target is a pretty normal x86 system, although there may be others
> in the future.

This actually brings you closer to using regular Debian (with copying
only the required binaries to your target image).

> > If done well, it could become the major source of user land packages
> > for embedded systems from a community source (like Debian already is
> > in the server/desktop world). And we see customers that require
> > widely supported community (non-commercial) sources for their
> > packages.
>
> It looks like a cool effort.  If we decide to go that route, I might
> be able to participate some in the future, but for the moment I'm
> afraid I need to pick something, and quickly too!
>
> One of the other contenders is snapgear - any opinions on that?

A few questions to check are:
- community support versus company support (both have pro and con)
- how broad is the support for the different applications you need
- how much do you want to engineer yourself (with some help of the
  community) and how much do want to buy from a commercial supplier
  (there are quite a few on this list)

Peter

--
Peter Vandenabeele