Re: Linux firewall question.

> Speed:
> The leaner the kernel is as far as the firewall is concerned, the
> quicker it is able to handle packet forwarding/etc.

A modularized kernel can be leaner, since it doesnt require compiles all the
time to get rid of unwanted parts.

> Security:
> Having module support on a firewall machine  invites the possibility
> that one of the modules can be compromised through a trojan.

This is also true for /sbin/init. I think the firewall has to be designed to
be immutable/secure after a reboot (i.E. boot from read-only media) or/and
do some checksums.

Greetings
Bernd
--