Re: Hacking a firewall

Hi.

Do you know what 'stateful inspection' means? It *DOES NOT* mean 'check if
the connection is established'
<From ipfilter's FAQ>
Q. What does "keep state" actually do ? Is it useful ?

A. First, yes, it is useful. What it does is allows you to only allow TCP
packets through your firewall which are recognised as being part of an
established connection rather than just arbitary TCP packets which can be
used to perform "stealth scanning".

</From ipfilter's FAQ>

Stateful inspection will check to make sure the protocol is correct: i.e. no
one in your network is using port 80 for ICQ. This will work on ipfilter but
not on Firewall-1.

Aviram Jenik

"Addicted to Chaos"

Today's quote:
The first sign of a nervous breakdown is when you start
thinking your work is terribly important.
                         - Milo Bloom