Re: minimal mail config for firewall?

Hello Paul

On 15 Jun 00, at 9:42, Paul Reavis wrote:

> On a related note, does anyone have any good schemes for getting logs
> off a firewall reasonably securely, so they can show up in your email? I
> hate having to constantly log in to check them, but feel that just
> email/fetchmail out from the machine is chancy.

If you have Linux running on a 2nd machine, inside the firewall, you
could setup the syslog.conf file on the firewall to send its log
messages directly to the 2nd machine via udp.  Then nothing gets
stored on the firewall.  It could boot off readonly media.

Just be careful, sending logs via udp is not secure.  Thus the
logging machine must be inside the firewall and anybody on the
local area network could sniff the logs if they wanted to.  Otherwise,
I can't see any security problems with this.

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa