Re: Need help blocking all ports except a few

Sommarnatt wrote:

Tried apt-get to download the latest kernel but it seems that it doesn't use http/ftp but only searches on my CDROM. Where do I configure so that it searches for packages using http/ftp?

What is in your /etc/apt/sources.list file? Mine is below. I am guesssing you either have apt configured to check your CD-ROM, or you are running apt-cdrom instead of apt-get.

If you change your /etc/apt/sources.list file, you must then run "apt-get update" (or "aptitude update"; some people prefer aptitude over apt-get) before "apt-get install $PACKAGE".

# Debian
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

# Debian Non-US
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Debian security updates
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main contrib non-free deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free

EKMacAdie
http://www.shellfspace.net
Promoting Linux and BSD for desktop use in e-commerce