Re: Promiscuous mode

| Maybe you ran a packet sniffer like tcpdump, ethereal or the like?

No - not that i'm aware of.

I got a lot of stuff installed, though, like wireshark (seems to
replace ethereal now in Sid) or snort. But it's deactivated.

I run tiger, though, and had no time yet to adjust the configuration.
But i never saw tiger intercepting network, it's rather focussed on
filesystem, plus some localhost port scans.

What about detecting broadcasts ? I got no DHCP server but a samba
server here, and i see in the logs some Win$ machines around send
DHCP requests with unconfigured interfaces....i seem to remember
something related which belngs to WINS or so. Looking up the network,
you know.

   °
 /\/