Re: How to include updated versions of my fonts in Debian

FYI, I have already submitted bug report as suggested by you
Hoping for necessary action.
Thanks
Anirban

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022, 10:31 pm Anirban Mitra, <mitradranirban@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your response. As I use ubuntu, I can not use reportbug, hence I will use Email format as suggested by you.
Anirban

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022, 7:55 pm Jonas Smedegaard, <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
Hi Anirban,

Quoting Anirban Mitra (2022-01-16 14:18:01)
> I am the developer of Open source OpenType fonts Ani, Mitramono, and
> MuktiNarrow. My fonts are part of Debian distribution since 2002.
> Since then I have upgraded my fonts and bugfixed them. However newer
> versions were not included in Debian. The fonts are currently hosted
> in https://github.com/mitradranirban/fonts-fbf-beng and
> https://github.com/mitradranirban/fonts-mukti. How can the newer and
> better versions be a part of Debian distribution?

First of all: Thanks for your contributions to the Free Software
community - much appreciated!

I don't maintain those fonts myself, so I don't know if it is simple
neglect or lack of knowledge about the newer releases or perhaps there
is some other reason for holding them back.

It seems like your fonts are included in Debian package fonts-beng-extra
so the best way forward is to file a bugreport against that package,
requesting the included fonts to be updated and in future tracking those
source repositories at Github.

If you use Debian yourself then the recommended way to file bugreports
is to install and use the command-line tool "reportbug", but you can
also send a specially composed email. More info here:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I can certainly understand if you feel that you don't want to "jump
through hoops" of filing a formal bugreport and that you have done
enough by informing us at this mailinglist.

Yes, you have now made us aware of the issue, and possibly those
maintaining the involved package follow along on this mailinglist and
take appropriate action.

Reason I suggest to file a bugreport is both a) to most effectively
reach those caring for the specific package (including eventual forks of
the package for derivative distributions like Ubuntu) and b) most
reliably allow anyone interested - including yourself and maybe
historians many years from now) when and how this issue was resolved.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private