building gcc cross compilers

What is the status of building cross compilers with the
debian source packages?  I can get them to build after
fighting with it for a while, but it's a bit fragile.
It appears as though building cross compilers worked in
the recent past, but that changes have been made that break
it -- is someone maintaining this, or should I step up
to do it?  At the very least, I'll gather the changes I
had to make, and also write a README.building_cross_compilers.

dave...