Re: Coexistence of gcc 3.2 and gcc 2.95

>> I think, libs compiled with gcc 2.95 just should reside in separate
>> directory, say, /usr/lib/gcc-2.95-compat. Gcc 3.2.x should be run as
>> gcc or gcc-3.2.  Gcc 2.95.x should be run as gcc-2.95.
>
>That will work; the question then is how to automatically create all
>those packages - you'ld need a gcc-2.95-compat package for every
>package that contains libraries that directly or indirectly depend on
>libstdc++.

No need to do it automatically. Everything should be recompiled with gcc
3.2.
gcc-2.95-compat dir is for that small amount of packages (and their
dependencies, including libstdc++) that temporary cannot
be compiled by gcc 3.2. That should be done by correspondent package
maintainers. Off course, this plan will work only if the amount of
"gcc-2.95-compat"-packages is small.
I propose some mixing of variant 1 and variant 3 from your original message.
But instead of mangling the compiler version in soname I propose
putting "gcc-2.95-compat"-SOs in a separate directory preserving their
names.

BTW, how did Debian switch from libc5 to libc6 some years ago?