Re: Reverting r2000 for gcc-4.2

Matthias Klose writes:
> I'll revert this checkin on the 4.2 branch. Without it we only apply
> and test the patches for specific builds and architectures.  This
> then tends to be discovered on the build daemons, which is late.
> Adjusting the build dependencies is certainly ok.

OK, that's why this was a separate commit.  For the
architecture-specific patches, you are probably right, but for the
language-specific ones, we always build gcc, gcj and gnat manually
before an upload, so we would discover any patch that no longer
applies cleanly.  Another concern of mine is that patches for one
language might interfere with patches for another (e.g. if they touch
the top-level configure or Makefile.in).  Applying only the minimal
set of patches was meant to reduce that risk.  Finally, on some
machines like my old IBM ThinkPad T22, it takes > 10 minutes just to
apply all the patches, especially the Java ones.  Now I'm not so
concerned anymore for myself since I build in a 1 Gb ramdisk, but this
is a barrier for entry for other people who may want to contribute.

--
Ludovic Brenta.