Re: Switching GLIBC_DYNAMIC_LINKER in Trixie

On Mon, 8 May 2023 at 23:08, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:

> * Luca Boccassi:
>
> > But the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the
> > default option working best for Debian is the one that matches the
> > project's choice of a filesystem layout. After all, this is
> > configurable in the toolchain for a reason.
>
> It's not really configurable.  You need to use what's specified in the
> psABI supplement, otherwise the binaries won't be interoperable with
> other systems, effectively creating a Debian-specific ABI.

The vast majority of distros today ship the loader in /usr/lib as /lib
is just a symlink, so it would be interoperable. And anyway, the rest
of the system is not really interoperable, is it? Packages compiled
for Debian Trixie are going to be built against Trixie's glibc, they
can't really be expected to _always_ work against _any_ other libc,
no?

> > On the 'how' question there's obviously some options - patching
> > GLIBC_DYNAMIC_LINKER* defines, adding optional build time prefixes to
> > them, or a ship a default spec file - so it's not too important I
> > think, the main question is another one.
>
> There's no single place to patch this across the various toolchains and
> architectures.

In terms of 'how', wouldn't a spec file pulled in by default by our
toolchain that sets -Wl,-dynamic-linker=... as needed suffice? AFAIK
there are other distros doing this distro-wide, so there must be a
workable way.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi