Re: [Pkg-grass-general] I love this

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

At 05:27, giovedì 30 settembre 2004, Fred McDavid has probably written:

I'd like to throw out there that ossim should definitely make the list.

Not exactly related to GIS, I think (am I wrong?).

Pablo,

OSSIM is an geospatial imagery explotation and analysis program.  In my
traditional view of the geospatial world I would classify it as remote
sensing oriented rather than traditional GIS oriented but there is no
effective line between the two fields.   I think we need to take a
"big tent" view of GIS for our purposes.

I think if there is someone willing to prepare the OSSIM package for Debian
then that would be great and appropriate for this groups focus.

However, while we can prepare a lengthy wish-list, we may find our resources
are a bit limited to address everything and we will need to focus on what the
folks willing to put in the effort want to package the most.

One question I do have is are we aiming to get a whole bunch of packages
into the official Debian channel or are we also interested in maintaining
unofficial debian packages distributed through our own repository for
packages to big, non-standard or rarely used to officially package?

NOTE: when I say we, I really mean you guys (and gals).  I'm happy to provide
a bit of supporting advice and help upstream necessary changes to packages I
have commit access for but my Debian system is ancient. I have carefully
avoided learning anything about how to prepare .debs or .rpms for that matter.
You have my moral support of course!

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com