[Pkg-grass-general] a way for DebianGIS to Get along with Ubuntu

After a month now of testing Ubuntu as a desktop and
server, I have only positive things to say. The major
drawback to Ubuntu for me was loosing the ability to
access the DebianGIS packages.

As the articles below demonstrate, debian developers
are avidly debating how to deal Ubuntu phenomenon. I
believe that Ubuntu can be constructive competition
for Debian only if developers like us are creative. We
must be careful not jump to the conclusion that a
splintering and forking of debian is a solution to the
distros current problems.

That said, I also believe that it is the best interest
of the debianGIS group to offer some support to the
Ubuntu distro.  The debianGIS project makes OpenSource
GIS software usable to a wider audience than ever was
possible when we had to indidually compile all our
packages.  Ubuntu has incredible momentum now.  With
small modifications to how we are making our packages
we could offer support for Ubuntu releases.  This
would offer the chance for more open source GIS
software to fall into the hands of more people. That
is a good thing.

To support Ubuntu we need only:
1) continue to develop debianGIS as a standalone
repository against debian "testing"
2) At the time of Ubuntu freezes make a snapshot of
our repository for Ubuntu. I think we could negotiate
with Ubuntu "Masters of the Universe" Teams to take it
from there.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jon