Re: [DebianGIS] Live DVD BOF

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 04:23:14AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Roald de Wit suggested looking at Launchpad [1] which would take the
>> sting out of setting it up for us, at least as far as the live dvd
>> packaging goes.  We would still need to work out our work flow for
>> getting them from there into sid, but I suspect with having bunty source
>> packages it would become easier than it is now.
>>

> Tim
>
> I suspect that using an OSGeo-based infrastructure would be more valuable.
> As said, some data/programs could be not distributable on the basis
> of current criteria of Debian/Ubuntu, while OSGeo could find its way
> by means of special agreements etc.
> That said, I'm not specifically happy of using non-free infrastructures like
> launchpad or SF.

I've been trying to get more time to look at launchpad, but my initial
response is the same for different reasons.  Launchpad uses the normal
debian process of building all release packages from a source package
you upload.  We aren't going to have a 'source package' for most of our
packages, such as sample datasets, application configuration, tutorial
packages, etc.  In fact, it seems likely that we won't have source
packages for many of the applications anytime soon.  We need something
much more manual.

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com