Re: [DebianGIS] Packaging of World Vector Shoreline (WVS) data

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:31:46PM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> Ah, xtide also ships a xtide-coastline package, which contains the (World
> Vector Shoreline (WVS) data which OpenCPN wants. So all we have to do is
> depend on that and symlink/patch the paths to suit:
>   /usr/share/xtide-wvs/wvs1.dat (4.7mb)

Heh, right, Strange how I missed it myself.

I quickly checked OpenCPN sources in wvschart.cpp. It looks
to be using wvs43.dat file explicitly. First it uses it to
check the parameters sanity in constructor of WVSChart class.
This is not a big deal as it just open/close the file there,
and no harm of changing this to wvs1.dat.

More interesting is that for data retrieval, it uses
wvsrtv function that looks to be taken from xtide.
Thought It passes the actual path to wvs43.dat file to it.
I see there is even code to parse /etc/xtide.conf for
the list of dirs and some code to automagically choose
the best file based on resolutions (just first sight guess).
But this code is disabled in OpenCPN, and the path to the
actual wvs43.dat file is passed instead.

So my impression for now is that OpenCPN uses only wvs43.dat
file. I did not find any references to wvs1.dat in the
enabled code. Of cause there may be some extra logic somewhere
besides the already disabled code mentioned above.

I think it should be just possible to change reference from
wvs43.dat to wvs1.dat located in xtide-coastline package with
simple patch.

Just will have to try and verify this. And the upstream
mantainer may also shed a light on it. I would be extremely
careful when dealing with navigation packages even though
they are distributed "as is".

--
Anton Martchukov                     http://www.martchukov.com
0xFC4FBF28  96BC 3DAB 231A 7FCC 4F49  D783 9A69 65C1 FC4F BF28