tutorial/guide for new user?

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I'm not seeing answers to this question (or, for that matter, a FAQ):

Where are material(s) for new users? E.g.

1 for prior Arc* users wanting to setup "the Debian GIS Blend," or some
  part thereof, e.g. task=Workstation. This would cover, minimally, what
  packages to install. Extra points for a glossary that translated
  ESRIan <-> DebianGISese.

2 for users new to GIS, directions in accomplishing some basic tasks,
  e.g. "Your First Map." A more detailed example would be something like

http://www.unc.edu/mserre/teaching/fall2010/envr468/arcGIS/shortCourses/arcGISshortCourses.htm

  (variants of which I suspect are available throughout the virtual
  universe).

Feel free to please reply to me directly as well as the list,
and TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>