libc6 2.1.1-1, JDK problem, LD_PRELOAD, ...

Hello,

I had the problem noted in bug #36577 and #36578. I spent 2 hours trying to
down-grade to 2.0.7, but nearly hosed my machine.

My questions are
  1) Where can I read about using LD_PRELOAD or some other cleverness to
  provide the jdk with a different libc?
  2) Is there some way I can downgrade to...whatever version will work?
  3) How much work on my part would be involved in building my own libc and
  installing it and is it worth it? (and where to I read about this process
  if anywhere at all?)
  4) Is this a package or upstram problem (the jdk bug)?
  5) Has this already been fixed and should I just wait for the new package
  to reach the mirrors?

I think I subscribed to this list, but I haven't gotten any messages, so go
ahead and include me (robert@tapestry.net) in any replies.

Thanks,
Robert de Forest

--
Robert de Forest        robert@tapestry.net   "Time flies like an arrow.
Network Administrator   (831) 460-4355         Fruit flies like a banana."