Re: glibc - capaibility control mechanism

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:42:25PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> Note that 3 can be disabled on debian: /etc/ld.so.nohwcap.  Tough it
> disables all hwcap mechanisms, we cannot select each hwcap bits
> currently.

So it is unusable if there exists i386, i486 and i686.

> For me, it seems this issue mixes three different terms:
>  (1) tls (controlled by LD_ASSUME_KERNEL)
>  (2) processor platform AT_PLATFORM (no generic way to control)
>  (3) processor capability AT_HWCAP (controlled by LD_HWCAP_MASK)

No, this is one term, at least glibc internal; why is it exported via 3
or more different interfaces?

> Debian glibc i686 provides three libraries: /lib, /lib/tls,
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov.  (3) can be hidden by controlling (2), and (2) can
> be hidden by controlling (1).  Is it enough to fix your problem using
> /etc/ld.so.nohwcap, LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and LD_HWCAP_MASK?

No, the environment is not persistent.

> > We have even some library packages in the archive which provides such
> > optimized libs, they use its one hack to enable optimized libs.
> Do you have any actual examples?

atlas[23]-.*

Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
		-- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",