Re: The CI issue (was Re: Request push access on Salsa)

Hi Aloïs!

Aloïs Micard <creekorful@debian.org>,
15/10/2021 – 16:39:59 (+0200):

> In the go team we have a kinda 'special' CI setup put in place by @stapelberg
> which greatly improve the life of Go maintainers by doing full rebuild of all
> go packages at every commit. This way you know exactly if your new commit
> introduce a regression and you don't have to upload your package to
> unstable / experimental and wait for the breaks to happen. You know it right
> away and can fix it before doing the real upload. See this [1] for more
> information about the setup.
Interesting, I was wondering why lot's of stuff looked a bit abandoned,
now I understand better. I am a bit sad about such a great contributor
and developer leaving Debian - I am a huge fan of i3wm even if I
recently switched to sway - but I also understand his reasons.

> The thing is, the runner managed by @stapbelerg is down because he's moving off
> Debian [2] and therefore has put the machine to another use.
Why not using salsa shared runners and all the work made by the SalsaCI
Team? Sorry if this was already responded many times before, there is
maybe a very good reason.

> I've work on creating Ansibles files [3] (which are now ready to use)
> that allows everyone to setup a Go capable runner and register it on
> Salsa.
Excellent that you used Ansible to automate this process! I already have
some comment on this but I guess that I could contribute directly in the
repo (mainly on the Docker privilege mode that can be problematic in CI
context IMO).

I'll setup a VM on my infra and try to follow your setup documentation
so I may have more feedback in the next days.

> The only thing: while some package took <10sec to be build (which is
> what is intended) some of them took >10mins, and that's not
> acceptable.
>
> I'm working on getting this issue fix before making the runner
> available for everyone.
Yep, having a fast and reactive CI is something worth spending extra
time on. Happy to help in debugging this too. More generally, if you
need support or help on infrastructure questions, do not hesitate.

Cheers!
Faustin