Re: RFS: ymuse 0.21-1

Dear Nilesh,

On 10.10.2022 00:54, Nilesh Patra wrote:
I pushed a few minor cleanup commits. But a couple of questions:
thank you very much for checking the packaging, doing the clean up (I was surprised that so many little things slipped through) and for your valuable input.

- Since the very description says "GTK client for Music Player Daemon" should this not have a "Depends" on mpd?

No, as it is not necessary to run the mpd (daemon) on the same machine as the client (in this case ymuse). A mpd client is like a remote control for the music player daemon (mpd). The client and the mpd can run on the same machine but do not have to.

- As soon as I open ymuse GUI, I see the followint message[1] (while I am pretty sure
that the TCP port is fine and not in use) and the player
is un-usable. But this might be because I haven't configured mpd.

It can't connect if no mpd host is set either by env variable MPD_HOST or the settings of the program, but as you mentioned you don't have a mpd configured there is no server to connect to and therefore this message is to be expected. But if I set my MPD_HOST to a wrong IP the player is still usable in the meaning that it is not frozen and I can navigate in the UI. But it is indeed not usable as you can't play music due to the missing mpd.

If possible could you please test this package in a clean/pristine debian system maybe in a VM or something?

I don't have a VM at hand right now, but I hope I'll be able to set one up and do some tests within this week.

- If some sort of prior config is needed for mpd, please mention that in d/NEWS

As mentioned above it needs a mpd to connect to, but I am not sure if this is noteworthy as afair none of the mpc clients I use (mpc [0], ncmpcpp [1], cantata [2]) did this.

Thank you for taking the time to review ymuse. :)

Best regards,
Martin

[0] https://salsa.debian.org/mpd-team/mpc
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ncmpcpp