Re: Plans for golang-goprotobuf to unstable?

Hi all,

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 6:53 AM Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> wrote:

> I should have mentioned it earlier. For this particular transition
> (google/protobuf 1.3 -> 1.4+), ratt is not enough. For example,
> containerd will panic at runtime (root cause is #975431). The
> incompatibility is not at compile time, but at runtime.
>
> For safety,  I think google/protobuf (>= 1.4) should mark Breaks:
> golang-gogoprotobuf-dev.  Otherwise all package maintainers should
> verify if the package is still functional after rebuilding.

I just uploaded golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-5 to unstable.
So please keep golang-goprotobuf at 1.3, I will ask removing the 1.5
version in experimental shortly.

If you're blocked _only_ by github.com/golang/protobuf v1.4+, then you
can start to use golang-github-golang-protobuf-1-5.

There's still puzzle for the next steps. For example,
+ golang-google-genproto, the pb.go files in new version need to be
generated by new protoc-gen-go. However by doing this, it will be come
incompatible with gogo/protobuf and cause runtime panic (you will not
notice build error).  This at least will break containerd, and then
all container tools like docker/podman.

--
Shengjing Zhu