Re: Add Salsa pipeline to default Go pipeline?

Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> writes:

>> > Yes, I need to sign the changes locally, so I build packages locally.
>>
>> Right, I build locally too before signing uploads.  I was thinking about
>> the QA process.  Given the number of uploads of newer versions of a go
>> package that are later reverted due to reverse dependency build issues,
>> I think some additional pre-upload QA aspect for go packages to catch
>> these issues would be good.
>>

> The test_the_archive was designed to catch these reverse dependency
> build issues. Since every commit needs to rebuild many packages, it
> needs to be efficient. test_the_archive uses the go compiler's cache.
> However it currently only covers the build phase, not test phase.
> Unfortunately no further development has happened.

Yeah, I think the test phase and other tests are useful.

Compare successful pipeline for golang-github-go-kit-kit built today:

https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-go-kit-kit/-/jobs/5197263

With this FTBFS bug:

A Salsa CI pipeline for the same package indicate test problems:

https://salsa.debian.org/jas/golang-github-go-kit-kit/-/pipelines/629760

So I think we should start to test Go packages using the standard Salsa
pipeline too, to catch issues like this.  I'm not saying we should
remove "test_the_archive", just agument it.

Btw, I am looking at the go-kit-kit package and the etcd package with a
goal of a experimental upload if I get reverse builds to behave.  I've
noticed that old etcd causes build failures for new versions of several
packages.

/Simon