How to interprest dh-make-golang estimate

Hello,

This is my first attempt at creating a Debian package for the Go
language so I am trying to figure out all the ropes. I started off
running an estimate for the pwru package that has an RFP.

debian$ dh-make-golang estimate github.com/cilium/pwru
Bringing github.com/cilium/pwru to Debian requires packaging the
following Go packages:
github.com/cilium/pwru
          github.com/go-quicktest/qt
    github.com/cloudflare/cbpfc
    github.com/tklauser/ps

OK, so three dependencies needed first. I started with
go-quicktest/qt and got it ready to push, however, I then tried to
test my new package with pwru, I couldn't find it anywhere in the
dependency tree. Instead, I found a similar package in go.mod that is
likely a different fork, github.com/frankban/quicktest. This package is
already bundled for Debian so I have no work to do here. How did
estimate get the package go-quicktest/qt? I cloned the entire pwru repo
and did a search through git log -p and could not find any references to
that alternate package past or future of the latest tag. Also, does the
extra indentation imply anything?

I then checked cbpfc, it's needed.

Finally, ps was in a similar boat.  However, this time I found tklauser/ps
in the Git history. It was swapped in as a replacement for mitchellh/go-ps
which was the version still in go.mod as of the latest release tag. So, for
the moment, I don't need to pull that package in, but I might for the next
release when it's out. So, it seems that estimate might be looking at the
go.mod files from the tip of the repo instead of the last release tag which
the make command pulls down. Is this correct?

In any case, I can't find any reference to go-quicktest in the Git
history of pwru, cbpfc, or the tklauser/ps package so I don't know how
that was pulled in.

One other difference I found from a manual inspection, it seems that
estimate missed the github.com/cheggaaa/pb/v3 dependency which is in
go.mod of both the tip and last release tag.

--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl@north-winds.org

Public Key: http://www.north-winds.org/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 7896 E099 9FC7 9F6C E0ED  E103 222D F356 A57A 98FA